My eldest son is sitting on his bedroom floor wading through bits of paper from his first year in high school. He’s on holiday and throwing some things out, while ensuring he keeps work he’s particularly proud of.
It’s a good time of year to do this, especially if your office is winding down or you’re finding it hard to focus on larger projects.
How about your social media accounts? Are they looking a bit messy? Finding it hard to keep up with the people that mean more to you?
Try some of these quick wins to tidy up your social media activity:
- Unsubscribe from Facebook Pages you don’t want to hear from any more.
- Perhaps there’s a Page you really don’t want to miss out on – see the images below for instructions on how to help them appear in your newsfeed.
- Check your Facebook friends list – do you really want to keep them all? Are there a few you could … let go? Look through your Facebook newsfeed. You may want to hide some updates from some friends.
- Using Twitter Lists yet? If not, maybe it’s time to start. They’ll give you an easy way to sift through your tweetstream, especially if you follow hundreds or thousands of others.
- Check out your LinkedIn profile. Does anything need updating? New title? Maybe your Summary could be improved. Don’t forget to capitalise on the ability to add links and video to any part of your profile.
- Reading a lot of blogs? If you don’t have an RSS feed yet I recommend Feedly. It’s super-easy to add blogs (in fact, updates from all sorts of spaces including your favourite Instagram hashtags) and also to put them into categories that are meaningful to you.
I could go on, but nobody needs a long To Do List at this time of year, do they?
Let me know how you go with these recommendations. You’ll be all prepped and ready for 2014!